Tuesday 21 February 2012

The Magic of Blackpool

Just the idea of Blackpool on a February Sunday sends a shiver down my spine. But not for the reason you might think. Blackpool out of season for most people would be a rather bleak prospect. Not for me. I have very fond memories from my awkward teens, back in the 80's, when I would go to Blackpool for the Magic Convention in February, and spend the day wandering around the multitude of magic dealers to see what I could spend my pocket money on. Perhaps a magic book or some lecture notes or, more often than not, the latest gizmo that might allow me to perform the latest mind-boggling effect that was flavour of the month amongst my fellow nerds (or, should I say, young magicians).

A few years ago, some 20 or so years after my childhood excursions to the Magic Convention, I dragged Rachel along to the Winter Gardens to experience the spectacle. It was an eye-opener... I got to see many of the same magic dealers, now with more grey hairs and expanded waistlines, performing and selling much the same tricks to a whole new generation of young magicians (or, should I say, nerds). And Rachel got to see me regressing back to my awkward teens as I tried to pluck up the courage to speak to anyone.

The highlight of the day? Well that was actually down the other end of the town at the Pleasure Beach, riding the Pepsi Max Big One. Enough to send shivers down your spine.

No comments:

Post a Comment