Saturday 3 March 2007

Passing time

I'm 36. I'll be 37 this year. So I guess it's to do with my age. But for a while now I have been wondering if there really is a point to life. Is each and everyone of us here for a reason? Do we each have a purpose that we're supposed to discover before our time is up?


If we come to the conclusion that there is no inherent purpose to life, then aren't we just passing time? Aren't we just finding things to do to occupy ourselves with while we're alive? This is the conclusion I came to about 2 years ago, and it depressed the hell out of me. So I guess that was one of the reasons I started reading books that put forward an alternative viewpoint. 'Spiritual' books you might call them. (As you'll see, as this blog progresses, there are many other reasons I started exploring these 'spiritual' concepts... but more on those later.)

In the past, I didn't really have much time for these kinds of books. But they gave some hope. They suggested that there was a point to life and that our mission, should we choose to accept it, was to discover our purpose in life. What have I got to lose, I thought. Let's see if there's anything in any of this.

If nothing else, it'll pass the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment